by Basil
Let me tell you a story of love, betrayal, and more love. This is the story of a perfect day that ended in ruinous happiness. Some will ask, 'how is this possible?' I will not answer that. Instead, I will tell you our story.
It started simply enough. A Saturday like any other in the bustling urban paradise called Cleveland. The air was moist with the sense of adventure and our protagonists (one Rhoda, Kit, and Basilio) set out with hope in their eyes and a burning desire for beautiful escape. They made their way to a shop--a shop unlike any other. Bold, brazen letters declared "Kitsch City." Inside the mildly rotund storekeeper joked with Rhoda and Kit for he had seen them before. His jolly eyes twinkled in delight to see the world-consumingly cute Rhoda. Our heroes looked and looked for presents, and trinkets, and charms to delight, but found mostly inappropriate homosexual humor. Humorous, but devilishly inappropriate.
Alas, our poor journiers fled. For this story is not of Kitsch City, but of the wide ocean known as Lake Erie. To there they fled, out of fear or love or betrayal, we shall never know. But in the beautiful sands and green patures of the oceanside view, our beloved family set about exploring. Looking for adventure and treasure with reckless abandon.


Treasure was not far afoot, our company soon realized. For a walkway over the turbulent waters was found. It led to a stunning view of all the land. Basilio declared himself King of all he saw!


Sadly, his declaration of conquest was made with eyes tightly shut. His claim was laid to no avail.
And yet, the Rhoda and Kit stayed by him in his foolishness and only mocked him as necessary. Their love was complete. King Basil and Queen Kit accompanied Princess Rhoda to the sunset at the end of the pier and eventually to a restaurant called "Melt," but this is not that story . . .
7 comments:
I especially like "world-consumingly cute" for its accuracy and "only mocked him as necessary" for its wisdom. Great pictures--now I see why Kit wanted us to visit there on that freezing cold day after visiting the Melt of Sublime Yumminess, aka sandwich heaven. (Also featuring brussel sprouts the day we were there.) Mom (from Janet's email room).
Well said. What a pleasant adventure. You guys are too cute.
Thanks, Emily. By the way, we hope to cross paths with you and James again. Fun memories.
Also a note: I just read a bunch of blogs and have to compliment Basil for taking turns with Kit in writing commentary (and posting pics?). I haven't seen any others where the husband contributed--though I admit I didn't look all the way back through all the posts on any site.
Kit, your fear of orthography has led to some nice results. (But don't let him take over like with the dishes. I like hearing from both of you.) Mom
I just read what Janet said and was surprised to hear that it was so cold. . . .you guys look too great to be freezing your buns off-- maybe Kings and Queens are above such things (great pictures and entertaining story).
very very clever.. so fun to read. thanks BAsil! This reminds me to tell you that I am awaiting the rest of your book.. you gave me a taste.. and I am unsatisfied without the ending.
Kristen you are wearing those orange pants I will forever covet. They are perfect on you.
Loved this posting - a great story for a great day. I hope you are well. I loved seeing you at Christmas. It was far to short, but the effort both our families made to be together for one evening was worth it. I am sick with viral infection that will not quit. I have been without a voice for two weeks -- I am the kid whisperer.
It actualy wasn't cold at all on this particular perfect day, but it was cold when Basil's parents visited in October. So cold, that the ice on the pier stopped us from venturing out as far as we would have liked.
Post a Comment