Friday, July 3, 2009

Los Hechos de Urubamba

(by Basil) So Kit has told you about our first day and the sad lack of photos (we hope to steal a few from some of the other members of our group). On the plus side, since we got to Urubamba, our camera has been working overtime. On the first day, we arrived just in time for lunch. Our host Edwin is amazing and the food was great. We had planned to spend the first day relaxing and then set up the clinic on Tuesday. But, it turned out that there was going to be a transportation strike going on on Tuesday because of new regulations the government wanted to enforce about driving safety (Yes, Peruvians do not like seatbelts or paying more taxes, just like us). So after a nap part of the group decided to make a quick visit to the clinic while the rest stayed in town. Marissa (ID Doc), James (IM doc), Kit (ultimate hottie), Rhoda (bebe linda), and I (Walking zombie) went for a walk around the city. It was a wonderful excursion. Below is a picture of us walking down the street that leads up to our hotel. This next one is a picture of us in front a brightly painted Peruvian home. Each street has at least one of these small stores and it is basically a house that has had the front room converted into a store. All the space is packed with brightly packaged food plus bags of rice and grains and occasionally piles of produce and raw meat hanging from the ceiling or laying on tables. Here we are in front of the Plaza de Armas. It is the main town square with the church and a small, park like area. (Kit was snaping most of the photos, so often she is absent). This is a good example of how the houses are built in Peru. There is no yard and the houses are right up against each other unless there is a street. I know you are all going to ask "What does Vidrios Mean?" In the spirit of the Simpons I will just reply, "It means he gets results!" Actually it means glass, but wasn't mine better? Kit decided to join us in this shot and in the background you can see some of the beautiful mountains surrounding the Urubamba Valley.Before leaving the hotel we had asked directions to a supermarket so we could pick up some things for lunch at the clinic. So, here it is.It obviously isn't like supermarkets in the US and I was a little surprised because there were American style supermarkets in Arequipa. In the next two pictures, you can see some of the stalls close up. Check out the rice, potatoes, more rice, more potatoes and some beans. Every meal we have had so far as included rice and potatoes (just like when I was in Arequipa). On leaving the market, Kit found this beautiful scene of a woman selling a pile of cilantro. She couldn't resist snapping a photo and then devouring the whole pile of cilantro. In one of the stalls we went by, a young lady was spinning yarn. We thought it was pretty cool. On our way back to the hotel, we ran into a group of kids. They adored Rhoda and wanted to know her name. We asked if we could take their pictures and they loved it, so we took a lot of pics and let them crowd around to see themselves in the view finder. Below is a picture of flowers taking over a door. It was pretty incredible to see the flowers grow so well in such a dry climate. On the way back, I couldn't resist playing a little soccer with the kids in the street like I used to on my mission. OnTuesday morning, we sorted medications into doses to distribute to people in the clinic. We also did a brief derm and ID lecture courtesy of James and Marissa. That afternoon the whole group went into town. In front, from left to right is Rachel, Matt and Kuba. Just behind them are Elizabeth and Jackie. Everyone rocks as Kit told you. As you can see, Kit couldn't resist taking a picture of my butt on the way into town. That is me next to Maureen Fike. Alida waisted no time setting up shop. you havn't lived until you've had her confecciones. What are the odds right? We got this great picture out of it. Alida is engaged to one of my friends from my Internal Medicine Acting Internship. She is awesome! Below is a picture of a street cart with gaseosa (Soda pop) and galletas (cookies). That afternoon in Urubamba, we went to a wonderful little restaurant that had a good selection of vegetarian food (since about 1/4 of our group is vegetarian this was very important). Rhoda loved the open courtyard and mural on the wall in the restaurant. She also loved the fountain, and was all too willing to jump right in.Here is more of the group in front of a beautiful building. Left to right: Alida, Satoko, Anna, Matt, and Kuba. Don't ask me who the person behind Anna is (I really did try to figure it out). Kit took this next photo so everyone could see the little Mototaxis that take people around town. Honestly though, I think that the little home with aluminum siding is very telling part of the picture.Here we are at a series of shops just outside the "supermarket." This next photo is one of Kit's favorites. This is the shop of a shoe repairer. You can find a few of them around town. Basically, you take your shoes in and he will patch them up or put new soles on them (usually made out of old tires). Most people around town were quite smitten with Rhoda, here Rhoda is quite smitten with another cutie little piggyback baby. (By the way, we did ask permission before we took anyone’s picture.)Back at the hotel we let Rhoda play around outside and she found a new favorite game: carrying flower-pot holders around the hotel. She was very cute and no one minded although it was a little loud. Next is Rhoda coming in for a hug. You can see the recently abandoned flower-pot holders behind her. She is wearing the new boots we got her in town.In the market that day, we also bought Rhoda doll for18 soles (6 dollars). She absolutely adores it.Okay, so we saved this picture for last because it is the hardest to explain. There is a fruit in Peru that is called Granadia (accent on the i). There isn't anything like it in the states. It has seeds inside kind of like a polmegranite, but the seeds are freeflowing in a kind of slimy mush. So, I know that doesn't sound good, and it certainly doesn't look that good, but it is very sweet and tasty. It tastes kind of like a passion fruit. Plus you avoid the issue of having to wash your fruit with clorox because you don't eat the skin. Thus ended our second day in Peru. Things get even more interesting after that. . .

6 comments:

Emily M said...

Awesome pictures. I'm glad you're taking lots. You guys look great! Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Haha, that looks like the world's smallest soccer ball!

Your kid is so cute!

Mark

Prism said...

Hey Kristen-girl!
I TOLD you Rho would be a great ice-breaker, and that people are so sweet that the language wouldn't be as big a problem as you feared! Now, aren't you glad you went! I am SO jealous!

Janet said...

Well, this is not Janet. Would she really comment? I ask only for information. I loved the Pics. I would like to visit Peru with you sometime. Have you been to church there? I assume there is an LDS presence. I would love to hear what services are like there. I love you guys. Dad.

James said...

Awesome--and jealous, of course.

Dawn said...

Thanks for all the details. I wonder if you will end up vegetarian also--it is catching you know. At first, before the close up, I thought the supermarket looked a little like whole foods, but I see it is a rice and beans extravaganza. I loved the beautiful cilantro lady and the cute darling sweet-faced Rhoda. Love, Mom/Dawn Wishing I were with you.