Thursday, September 3, 2009
Pisac Attack!
(by Basil)
So with the title I'm actually suggesting the wrong way to pronounce the town, but it sounds good. The correct way is like pee-sock (don't you like the other way better?). When we first arrived in the highlands of Peru I was worried that Rhoda and Kit weren't going to get to see any festivals. I mean, we were leaving right before Peruvian independence day and we were working most weekdays. On the other hand, I was concerned that they would see a festival, but not a good one. During my time in Peru, I was around for the Virgen de la Candelaria, a month long celebration with excessive drinking and debauchery. Needless to say, I didn't really want my family exposed to that. Luckily, they had a fun, clean festival for one of their virgins in Pisac (Peru is a very traditional catholic place and any place that the virgin has appeared usually has a statue of her that is carried around during festivals). Below you can see a group of dancers getting ready to hit the stage.
We went to a fun restaurant called the blue llama. From the balcony, we got a great view of the festival and took a bunch of pictures (most of which didn't turn out). You can't really get a good view of the stage because it is surrounded by people so just use your imagination.
Here is another group of performers that has just finished dancing. Do they look beat or what?
The festival had its share of Llamas and alpacas. To be honest, I'm not sure which this is, but I think it is an alpaca (notice how small it is). The other option is a baby llama. Either way, very cute.
Speaking of llamas, here is Kit dressed like one, with Rhodie as her little Peruvian rider. We were able to do a little festival shopping while we were in town. We didn't actually buy the hats I am sorry to say. They wanted too much money, but we still got a great picture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's fun to see all that because I've been to all those places. Cusco is great, Inka Kola's not bad either.
Scott
Post a Comment