Friday, March 15, 2013

A better late than never Halloween

Halloween pictures may be the one and only thing I am consistent about posting so even though it is several months past I am adding these pictures from last Halloween.

I am lucky that my girls haven't become too picky about their costumes yet. They just love to play dress up (just like mom!) For Z, I had this leotard and ears in the costume box so I just had to add the tail. It was perfect because she is in that fun two-year-old stage where she is just fascinated by animals. She was so excited to be a kitty, as you can see! 
 She meowed happily all week and for months afterward any time we saw a cat she would say, "It is a kitty, same like me!"
 She loved using her tail as a prop and wearing her kitty coat, formerly "doggy coat" named after a black lab we know.
I found a pair of red cowgirl boots for R in the summer that inspired her Jessie costume. At first we were just going to borrow her costume from Cousin Katie. Then a friend offered to give me one her daughter had worn. That ended up falling through but by then I had already bought the hat and belt at goodwill and found an adorable inspiration photo on line that I just couldn't get over. 
 I got the shirt at goodwill as well and added trim to that and a pair of jeans she had. It was a fair bit of work but since I didn't have to do much to Z's, it  was still a break from my usual, overambitious, plans. I also added a  pull string to her back; it was one of my favorite parts.

 Even I can't believe how adorably it turned out! She was such a perfect little Jessie, freckles and all! With her skinny little legs she looked just like a wiry  little rag doll. Best of all she was so happy and excited about the whole thing. Thank goodness Disney has a non-princess option.
 Part of what made her costume such a hit was that her little friend Wyatt decided to be Woody. His mom did an awesome job on his costume and even dressed his baby brother as Stinky Pete! They were so cute. I still need to get some pictures from his mom but will update this post once I get them if I can.
 R's preschool is back behind a home where they have a large garden and some farm animals. It was a great place for pictures once the snow stopped (first photo). Thank goodness she is a tough little gall and puts up with her mama's shenanigans.



 Here she is cari'n for some critters,
and telling off this here ninja at the ward party for messing with her lil' sis. He really wasn't bothering Z but as a deputy of the law, Jessie could tell he looked like trouble.  
 And finally, winning the prize for best costume in the junior primary. How could she not! When they asked her name and who she was dressed as she added a little yodel, (with  no prompting from me.) We yodeled quite a bit while I was making her costume and hers always included a little shimmy and what she thought of a a Jessie pose.
 Both girls had fun trick-or-treating (the first year we haven't ended up carrying anyone) but even more fun handing out candy. They were so excited to see everyone's costumes. Basil reports that when he took the girls out, Rhoda started complaining after 3 doors saying "Daddy, I'm done playing this game anymore." They changed their tunes after they saw the candy.
We finally carved pumpkins this year, but that wasn't such a hit.
Finally, here they are enjoying the candy of their labors. Believe it or not, I already have a plan for next year and it involves no sewing.

1 comment:

Emily M said...

Love 'em. Can't wait to have you closer!