Monday, May 13, 2013

The Windows of Heaven

We are currently finding out what it is like to get so many blessings that there is not enough room to receive them. At least it seems like we don't have time enough to receive them! Three years ago when we moved to Klamath Falls with a 2 week old baby, we vowed we would never plan so poorly again. Thank God for taking the planning out of our hands and giving us the most miraculous surprise of our lives: a sweet baby girl due exactly 5 days before graduation from residency. So here we are, about to do it all again as we start the next phase of our lives in Twin Falls, ID.

As we have been planning for the move, we have gone back and forth several times on whether to buy or rent a house. We had finally decided to rent until we became a little more established, but again the decision was taken out of our hands. There was truly nothing available for us to rent in Twin Falls that would meet our needs. So off we went (without Basil who was busy working) to find our future home. I was feeling pretty discouraged by the realities of being a resident's wife and having to travel with the girls and be solely responsible for making such a huge decision with pregnancy dementia in full swing (and all the discomfort that comes with a 12 hour drive). I wasn't alone though. My mom and dad came up from Utah for the day to help me house hunt. It was such a huge relief. One of the first things my mom said to me was how impressed she was that Basil trusted me enough to pick out the house on my own which helped me realize I didn't have it so bad. Even though he wasn't with me, we talked on the phone a lot and he was very supportive. Plus, I knew the three things he really cared: about: 1st- a place for his computer;  2nd a comfortable shower; 3rd- a good backyard for the girls to play in. I really am lucky to have such an easy going guy.

In truth, we are very similar in our idea of a dream home: a turn of the century, one story, red brick ranch style with a basement and lots of mature trees in the yard-- pretty much the exact house we both grew up in. As you can see, that is pretty far from what we ended up with. In fact, when our realtor sent us the listings of potential places we could look at we scoffed at this one a bit. 1990s architecture may be appreciated some day, but I was really not a fan of the not-so paladian windows, lack of storage space, small kitchen and white carpet throughout. Most of all it had only 3 bedrooms and the smallest square footage of anything we were considering. We only decided to look at it because of the awesome looking backyard (and in the end that is one of the main things that sold us on this house). Don't get me wrong, I came to realize that the house is totally great! We are so so lucky to be able to buy a place like this. It just isn't what we thought we wanted- we were wrong, as usual.   
My secret wish was that we could be in Becky and Bruce's school district/ward/neighborhood. In the end, we ended up a bit further away, but still on the same end of town. We are on a quiet street and it seems like we will have some other young families in the neighborhood.


This yard is going to be a lot more work than we are used to (we have never actually had a yard), but also a lot more fun. Dad has already offered to help us plant a garden and the girls can't wait to find all the potato bugs. I can't even tell you how excited we are for this yard!



Yuppers, that's a hot tub. It isn't in the best condition, but it is a fun bonus (the listing said it was included "as-is" which makes me worry we may just be responsible for hauling it away.) 

The patio is cover is also supposed to be included. I hope it isn't just a big green tarp.

So here is the real reason we are ending up with this house-- no, I'm not referring to the staircase. Another thing my mom said to me was that she had been praying I would receive a clear, immediate answer on what house to pick and not have a lengthy process of hemming and hawing (important as I was getting to close to my due date to be away from home for long).We are so grateful these prayers were answered. Of course, there were good and bad aspects to every house, but many times I couldn't pin down any major problems with a house- it just didn't feel right. This house, despite being far from perfect, was the only one that did. It is not what I envisioned and yet it was the only one I could see our family in. 

As you can see, the floor plan is very open. The bottom floor is like a big, open circle, which is good- nice flow, interaction between people in different rooms, and bad- it makes it harder to arrange furniture



We will probably have our computers in the formal dining room since technology trumps truffles in our family (although we do like our truffles . . . we just eat them in front of our technology). 

This dining space on the other hand is just perfect. I love that it is bright and gives a great view of the backyard. 

Thank goodness the fridge isn't included (I must be one of the few home buyers that thinks stainless steal is a detractor rather than an improvement). 

Sadly, we have grown accustomed to our great big 1950s kitchen and I'm having a hard time envisioning how we will all 4 cook in here as we like to do now (let alone have enough storage space). Basil is just sad that the microwave is included since he is bizarrely attached to the microwave his mom bought us for our wedding.

This is the part I'm struggling with the most. Small kitchen I can get used to (yes I know it isn't that small compared to many kitchens, I've just been spoiled), but I love love love my big mudroom/laundry room in Klamath. I love having a nice deep sink to rinse messy girls off in. I love having lots of room to drop shoes, bags, etc right when we get in the house. I love all the storage. This laundry has got me already dreaming of a renovation, but back in reality, I'm sure I will just get used to this to.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love this house. The windows are wonderful and of all the houses we looked at it probably needs the least work done (which is music to my pregnant ears). This room, off the kitchen and entry, will be the family room/play room.

The master bedroom has another window seat (which you can't really see, but we love). 

Oh yeah, carpet in all three of the bathrooms. That should be interesting.

This will be the girl's room. I am really excited about the idea of a loft bed for R. 

This will be the guest room and my sewing room.

Finally, this is the other room that completely sold me on the house. It is a little five by seven bonus space they were using as an office, but when I walked in I knew it was the perfect nursery for our new little one. The feeling I get in this room is so exciting and wonderful. I can't wait!

So there you have it. The soon-to-be Anderson abode. We are excited to have all of you come help us fill it with memories. Right after we celebrate a 3rd birthday, HAVE A BABY, finish residency, move, and start a new job.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Dear Basil and Kit,

I LOVE your new house and I love your pictures and narrative about it that you put on your blog.



I was already thinking about you and Basil because Rachel is in some of the same situation you are: Spencer just graduated from pharmacy school, she is due in three weeks (with her first baby so she isn't also taking care of other siblings, like you), they needed to move to a larger place (but at least it wasn't across country and they ended up deciding to stay within the same apartment complex because it would be the best for them economically. They were worried about paying off their student loans), and Spencer starts residency a week after the baby is due. Happily, because Spencer accepted a residency there in Atlanta, Rachel didn't have to look for a new job at the same time as house hunting, moving, and baby-making.



But I felt such a connection to you when you talked about finding your house because we just moved and I too felt that immediate rush of warmth knowing that this was the house. I could see us living in it. And then I had that reaffirmation when we came back for the inspection. I loved it. I probably needed that second affirmation because we ended up in a two-story house when we were looking for a rambler to retire in! We got all the other things we were looking for--downsizing in yard and house but yet larger communal space for grandchildren to visit--but we have stairs! Probably good to keep me more active since I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but I'm praying hard that I'll stay healthy and not need knee surgery or hip surgery or anything that would make stair climbing difficult. I love the turn of my stairs going up--yours reminded me of how attractive and lovely stairs can be! I think your house is splendid, and like you, one of our great attactions was the backyard.



Hey, and my house came with a stainless steel fridge. Not my favorite. I moved it out into the garage as an extra fridge/freezer and moved my own much-better-loved black fridge to our new house. Another connection I felt with you! I love the light, I love the openness, I think your house is great.



Love,

Aunt DeeDee

Luan said...

Gorgeous! Dawn just gave me the link. love you, aunt lu

Luan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

What a perfect and beautiful house! I absolutely love it! I am so excited for you all! I love the whole house! What a great find. I love that you have such an inviting house and a beautiful back yard the kids can play in! I love your blog Kristen! I have been wondering so many things and you answered a ton of questions. I am so happy you have so many pictures too! I love and miss you all so very much!

Emily M said...

This is fabulous! I can't wait to see it in person. I have a feeling we'll be stopping off in Twin Falls a lot more frequently now. Everything inside will be just perfect with your personal touch and all your own things around you. And seriously WHAT a beautful backyard. You have tons of room and a beautiful patio. It will be SO great. Oh, my. I can't tell you how happy I am to have you guys close again. LOVE LOVE LOVE

Jamie said...

This is awesome! Congrats! How exciting! Congrats on your pregnancy! You do have so many changes! Good luck! I would love to see your family and kids! We will be in Utah often this summer. Give me a call or email if you are in town and we could get together!
Love you!
Jamie
P.S. We just bought our first house (in Mesa AZ) and had our 3rd child (a baby girl named Mariah). Lots in common!

Dawn said...

This is my second time looking through all the pictures with your great commentary. I really truly like it!It's a far more interesting house than Klamath, even if it is smaller. And is missing the mudroom. And it has a fenced yard! You are going to love that.
It's funny about houses. I still love the Tooele house because of the cathedral window in the front room and all the angles in the ceiling--but come to think of it, there wasn't much else that I couldn't part with. Well, except the dishwasher--which we brought with us (exchanged with the one here in Levan before we put the Tooele house on the market) and the stunningly beautiful roses in more varieties than I'd ever seen before. I filled the house with roses every spring--vases of roses everywhere. (Actually they were in quart jars--I didn't have near enough vases.) I loved the roses but I'd killed them off by the time we left, not knowing how to care for them. (I still feel guilty about that and hope the former owner never finds out.)
Anyway, Kristen, you have always made every apartment and house a delight. I can't wait to see what you do with this one. (No pressure. Take your time. :) I'm so glad your Dad volunteered to help you get a garden in. What great parents you have.
Be seeing you five (count them) soon! Love, Dawn/Mom/Grandma