This first picture is of her at only 5 days old! A mere one hundred and twenty-eight cells (It was the day she moved from the petri dish to my uterus).
If you think she looks bumpy and funny in this picture, you should have seen the others the 3D machine came out with! She was very distorted and had a big lizard grin. We still like to joke about it. She was sucking on her pinky and wiggling around a lot during the ultrasound.
Does this sleepy smile look at all familar?
We had decided years ago on the name Rhoda Dawn for our first girl. Rhoda is from seven generations in Kristen's family tree. Dawn is after Basil's mom of course. We love these women so much and would love for our daughter to share their name. As soon as we saw her on the ultrasound we started calling her "Rhodie", but now we are having second thoughts. I've been asking people's advice and I get a lot of "it sounds like rhodadendron" or "Rhodadon, like mastadon." It could just be pregnancy dementia making me so indecisive, but I am very mixed up. Another name we love is Eden Jean and Basil loves Clarrisa Rae. Leave comments on what you think.
My second bit of indecision on baby's quilt. I decided to try aplique and to do a fun design. I got a lot of inspiration from the gorgeous art quilts by Amy Karol at King Pod. I would link if I knew how but you can probably search it or just ask me. It was so much fun to use fabrics I've been saving for something really special; like the green striped Mickey and Mini fabric from a jumper I loved as a baby.
I also really love the lamb first just because of the general symbolism of lambs, second because my baby quilt also had lambs on it, and third because we have a family lulaby with lambs in it. 
It is the square on the upper right that I am having problems with. The idea is from a love letter I wrote to Basil while we were dating about if he were a dove and I were a trout. At first I really liked the idea of the bird and the fish on there, but now I am thinking that it really is more of our thing rather than baby's and that maybe I should replace it with something else.
I thought about doing a snail with a castle on its back, but the temple on the purple square looks very castle-ish and I like that. I also like the idea of a tree. Tell me what you think. I also might have to replace the upper right hand corner depending on what we decide about that first conundrum.
I thought about doing a snail with a castle on its back, but the temple on the purple square looks very castle-ish and I like that. I also like the idea of a tree. Tell me what you think. I also might have to replace the upper right hand corner depending on what we decide about that first conundrum.
Anyway, I'm kind of burnt out on the quilt right now and will put off making any decisions about it while I work on another project. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
4 comments:
Darling quilt, Kristen. You are very talented. I love all your names, but I think that Clarissa Rae is my favorite out of those choices. (But I really hope you use the middle name Dawn, so all the first-born girls can share a middle name with the best grandma in the world! We just need to get Chuckie's wife on board!)
Love the pics of you and cutie "Rhodie". How funny that she looks like you already! Lucky girl!
I love Rhoda, but James says it can never be (for us anyway). I also love Clarissa Rae-- I've always loved Rae-- you mom's middle name, right? And I also love Kae. Just talking about these names makes me want a girl! ... There is time....
Anyway, I know you guys will make the right decision. You have impeccable taste in baby quilting and baby names.
I love the quilt so far. You know I will always put in a vote for trees. I am just curious about the dove and the trout now.... But the quilt really looks so good. You are so creative. I am amazed. And Baby Girl is so sweet. Those are both amazing pictures. I love that little smile. I can't wait to kiss it!
Kristen,
I love LOVE, LOVE your quilt and I wouldn't change it. The sybolism is perfect because the baby girl is a product of your love. it makes perfect sense. Also, that photo of you as a little girl is too darling to be true! So cute!
I love the name Rhoda. I think since it's already on your quilt, you have to go with it. :) I will love to call her Rhodie. So cute and different. Oly says, "I like your blog." You're cool Kristen and Basil. :)
Oly wants to type:
fijtigdftijkguiiuikgj8jjdyfdugfydhfydhfdgydhfydhnfydgyhgfygfdyfhdgyfysgdyhwswbewirmojufsuhfdsbuhynfudnmfygrdedmwugrenfyugjenrhvurhthruhewiuwgqqhwuysggygheygfhwshutyheryuhteryhger7uyrhetrkkkkljlddddddddjjjjjpjotrhgitgjpripjdruthwjwehawyetdeyshnddhdqywgrheuhgfbasygrbgtgzehsdhbnsfhusdrgnhnuhdfbgn b gndubhmgnjsgdhdadmsyerhdnjh
Love, Oly
Post a Comment