Thursday, January 10, 2008

Her Room

Well, the night before we left for Christmas break I was so stresed out about getting ready I naturaly worked on a totally unrelated project- Rhodie's room. I had a ball (until the next morning). I was amazed at everything I already had for her once I got all the storage in her room moved downstairs. In fact, it looks like the only things that will be perchased specifically for the room are: the crib/changing table, a toy tote I got over Christmas, and some of the fabrics I am using.
I shyed away from picking a theme for her room because I wanted her to feel like she (and I) could bring anything in there and have her room reflect her intrests, even as they change. Of course, it just reflects my tastes right now but I hope that I can expose her to a lot of different things and let her choose. There will even be a little pink in there (a little).I didn't like the wall color in here at first; it just seemed to toothpastie and intense, but then I noticed that it was actually a prominent color in a lot of my insiration pictures. (I can post some of these if anyone wants.) It turned out to work and I am so glad because I am not sure if I could have motivated Basil and myself to paint even if it hadn't. I found the recliner on the tree lawn (trash, for you non-Clevelanders). The vinal is not in the best condition but we cleaned it up really well and it is extremely comfortable. It doesn't rock but I have a neat thrifted rocker in the other room if I want. (It just doesn't have the head support.) I also love that basket Em and James gave us for our wedding.I got the idea for these curtains from the wonderful shaker nursery in Martha Stewart Baby a few years ago. On the right is one of my favorite things, a gingam and pom pom teddy bear hanging my grammy made me when I was little.
This clothes line will be above the crib and the head of the twin bed. I love this idea which I first saw in my very cleaver sister's kids room when they lived in San Fran. You may also remember the one in my kitchen; I really do love laundry!
I had so much fun with the bed. It is a rickety trundle bed that we got for free on Craig's List. I thought we would have to get rid of it when baby came, but now it looks like we can make it fit. I think I will be glad to have it and I can lower it down to the floor when she starts to crawl. I have always loved "redecorating" a room just by changing the bed. I really had fun doing this just using what we had in different ways. The first one is the backside of our wedding quilt, my favorite orange pillows, and some wonderfull circus fabric from my mom's stash. The quilt is folded in half so it is the perfect weight for Ohio's inbetween seasons. In the middle is a cosy fleece blanket and the beautiful old leaf quilt I thrifted last year for only $30! It is a nice combo for winter and last is a garage sale throw that we have loved. It is, of course, just right for summer. I love the cowgirl look and threw some western prints over the pillows to give myself some ideas and have since bought fabric for the pillow cases. I also want to do something cute and monogrammed for that throw pillow insert and there is a little peace of trim pinned to the edge of the bed skirt that I would like to finish it off with.
The last wall has a painted shut door with LOTS of hooks,the bookshelf (which has some changes coming) and the closet. And here is a sneak peak of the new closet curtain made out of Ikea fabric from Dawn. I love that blue fabric that I pinned up for the other picture (another tree lawn find). but the consensus over christmas was for stipes and I am glad I can use the blue in the other room. (I also love sneaking in a shot of Basil's feet whenever posible.)
Wow, now you know why I blog so infrequently- man I can blab! Here are just a few more little bits for the end of my blab: Wendel the shy softie designed by my mom, a blue jay sitting on the first quilt I ever made, And a perfect laundry painting from Dawn with a matching blanket!

4 comments:

Melody said...

You must be kidding about blabbing. I loved every word. I love being inside your creative head for a minute even though it just makes me miss you. Her room looks so friendly. It's just the right place to start a wonderful life!

Sharon said...

Love seeing pictures of your house! We'll get over there to visit sooner or later! Her room looks fantastic! Great job!

Emily M said...

What a pretty room. You have such a talent for making any space feel homey and comfortable. She's going to love it. There is love and sweetness in every touch. I need to take a few lessons, as I decorate Will's room for the first time in his life-- as soon as we find the hardware to put the crib together.... I really need to copy the curtains, I think. So any info on that would be very welcome. :)
I love you!

Sara said...

We are so happy for you and Basil. Your big brother especially. He wonders about how you are doing every day and is so excited for you.
We love you. Let us know as soon as you know. :) ha ha ha.
Sara