Thursday, February 28, 2008
To and Fro, Stop and Go
The last couple of months have been alternately very active and very lazy. After the spurt of productivity I talked about in my last post I got completely burned out and there was a lot of this….eating, sleeping, and growing.
Last week however, the dial got switched back to busy in a big way. Infact, it turned out to be one of those weeks we will look back on and think, “How on earth did we make it through that?” The answer is, of course, Richard and Dawn. Mom and the Doc flew out on Thursday so that we could all go to West Virginia together for Grandpa Don Rasmussen's surprise 80th birthday party. Before we left for the trip Dawn accompanied me to a Dr. apointment. My Dr. apparently took the pressence of my mother-in-law and the condition of my cervix as proof that baby was ready to come three weeks early. After coming home from what I thought was an unusual examination and having contractions and bleeding for over an hour I realized she had stripped my membranes and I was most likely in labor! After crying a lot, I prayed with a lot of faith and forced myself to nap and the contractions eventualy subsided. I decided to go to WV the next day anyway and slept most of the way.
Don has done a lot of work on black lung and his birthday was a great event. We have really come to love him the past couple of years and were so happy to honor him with everyone else.
The next day we had a family brunch at IHOP and got to know some relatives we had never met. After getting home from WV, there was one more not so little event to get past before baby could come, Basil had to take the USMLE (the biggest test of med school) on tuesday. He studied all the way in the car with mom helping come up with memory devices and dad giving real life stories of illnesses and drugs.
Monday, Basil and mom studyed more while I tried to get ready for baby and pack a bag for the hospital and dad made sure WOW did not go neglected. (Take a look at that look of constipation, oh I mean concentration on Basil's face.)
Basil finally packed his brain to capacity and I am sure he did great on the test, though we won't actually find out for six more weeks. Mom and dad flew out yesterday in the middle of a huge blizzard. And although baby has been content to wait, Basil’s immune system couldn’t be put off any longer and he got the flu last night, complete with fever and chills. In the end we are doing fine, though my practice contractions persist, and we are cozy and content hibernating and waiting for baby, out of the cold and snow that has been pounding Cleaveland.
P.S. our bathroom roof started leaking and falling in on Monday night and our landlord is in Florida. Oh well- thats what makes the world go round.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment