Thursday, February 28, 2008
Homebody
January and the beginning of February I was very motivated to finish projects around the house. (Nesting? -oh yeah!) I have wanted to post some of these for a while, so here are the highlights:
The free twin bed in the nursery came with these two wedges that sort of turn it into a daybed. They were in pretty bad condition from living with dogs but great for propping up when sitting on the floor or bed so I ordered fabric online for the first time to reupholster them. It is so cute with bears and pokadot trees. This was a great first reupholstering project- just enough to make me realize I never want to do anything like this again. The cushions did turn out pretty well in the end and will also be good for making forts. I am sure they will out live the bed.
A more urgent project was to do some draft blocking around our drafty apartment. This quilted curtain for our balcony door was a cinch after I remembered this twin size coverlet I thrifted last year. I filled the roll at the bottom of the door with fish tank gravel from the pet store. I think they are helping and they definitely look better than the throw blankets and rolled up towels I have blocking drafts elsewhare in the house.
The tote in the center of this picture was a christmas surprise from my mom and sister. They used scraps from a school project I did a while back and my nephew chose the darling duck iron-ons. I finished the embroidery on the handle after I got home; it is pretty much the cutest thing ever. On the left of it and in the picture below is the laundry bag I made for the tot. I hope the size is good. I made a little toy bag out of a scrap and some darling fabric from Emily. I got pretty frustrated with these bags after doing the aplique Ss bakwards 3 or 4 times! On the right is Rhodie's future home- the sling Amy, Mom and I made in October.
For about the last three years I have been needing to replace the pins and batteries in both of my watches and I finally did it! I also remade my rugged watchband that had gotten quite thrashed over the years and gave it a custom tag. I used the alternate band choice to make a cute mom cuff on which I learned how to apply snaps- so easy!
Another project that was getting perpetually put off was getting some family pictures put up in the computer room. I still need a good print of our Anderson photo and I put up Ro's ultrasound picture as a place saver but at least the frames are on the wall and not the floor.
For the frame on the right wall, I used a map for the mat and bordered the pictures the same colors as the state borders. (We sortof have a map theme going in here- maps are such cheap art.) Again this is not the best quality job but I am realy happy to have it done.
Again, I have had the idea and some of the supplies for this project for a few years. (Anyone see a pattern here?) But I finally made some frames for the nursury out of the covers of kids books I got at DI. Trust me, it really was heatbreaking tearing the covers off of books but I felt better once they got some beautiful aqua binding tape and photos of Basil and I hiking with our families as kids. I LOVE these pictures and can't wait to take Rhodie hiking.
I already mentioned a couple of the T-shirts and pants I made for babe, but I have made a few more since I realized I am still allowed to make her clothes even though she has plenty already. I am also showing off the Baby Legs leg warmers from a couple posts ago. ( I just found out that they are selling these at Target now.) I really love this picture because Rhodie actually made a surprise appearance- my big belly was stiking out into all the shots.
There isn't a close up of the one on the far left, but it has a Zion NP patch with rick rack and embroidery and the picture from the very top of the page is a detail of the tush- it is one of my faves. The one below is for 6 months, about the time she gets solids, though I am sure it will be much longer than that before she actually gets to try sushi first hand.
Chikie birds in the leafy tree tops.
I love anything Scandanavian, especially this classic horse motif.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am in awe of your cleverness.
Wow girl, you did get busy!!
Everything turned out great! You have such a special talent. I love your new baby outfits! I love Sushi! Could you be any cooler, or could Rodie for that matter?
You're an inspiration.
I can't wait to give you props in person.
Miss you!
You are so creative! I am so impressed! I guess I should've known based on all our years in 4-H. I am so glad Basil told me about this site! This is more about you than I have known in a long time!
Post a Comment