Friday, August 29, 2008
Grandma Rhodie's Farm
by Kit
For those who don't know, our Rhodie is named after seven generations of Rhodas in her maternal line, all incredible women and mothers. I grew up hearing stories about my mother's grandma Rhodie Furniss and what a caring, generous and brave woman she was. From these stories, I have learned to love and admire her though I have never met her. She has become an important influence in my life. She lived in the most beautiful place on this earth, the Teton Valley. This year, the farm where she raised her family had to be sold. It was so important to me to take little Rhodie this summer and visit this heavenly place before it is turned in to a golf course this fall.
This house was built for Rhoda by her sons and son in law (my grandpa) after the original house burned down. Tragically, this house also caught fire when renters were living in it. On the left there is a willow that my great grandpa planted for Rhodie. It is the same kind they were sitting under when he proposed. Below, you can see the Tetons in the distance. Growing up my Grandma's bedroom window looked out on these mountans.
Rho is getting off to a good start, learning to love laying in the tall grass as much as I do.
These are the hills and some of the fields of the farm.

Grammy made the trip with as and told us stories about growing up here and about Rhoda's life all the way.
This is Furniss Hill. In the winter, all the neighbors would come to sled down it. My Grammy remembers feeling so pleased when she could push her doll pram all the way to the top of the hill.
I am so grateful for my incredible heritage and that even though places and people change we can still have memories and stories about them. I hope that as I tell these stories to Rho she can feel the love of the generations that came before her and be proud of who she is and where she comes from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment