Thursday, June 3, 2010

Zuzu the Magnificent (Lindyl Jean Anderson)

(by Daddy)
I know we haven't posted in ages, but I think it is about time we start up again. After all, Zuzu the magnificent has joined the ranks of our unholy brigade. Kit's labor officially started at 4 am on May 30th 2010. Of course, she was having Braxton-Hicks contractions all day long the day before, even at Nickel City Arcade where we took Rhoda for a date (best use of nickels ever).
So Kristen woke me up that morning saying that baby was on her way. I put out my hands and waited to catch, but Kit informed me that she wasn't coming that soon. Instead, we spent a little while trying to get everything ready. Rhoda needed someone to watch her and Kit needed her Dulla/labor coach/bff Amelia who also happens to be Kristen's sister (convenient eh?).
Kit decided that she wanted to do a natural childbirth which seems to me to be the most beautiful form of self-induced torture known to man. Why should it have to hurt? Can't we just have the babies birth from eggs like nature intended?
Initially the contractions were manageable, but Kit didn't progress. She spent 2 hours at 6 cm and nothing was changing. The doctor (who happened to be Kit's OB, and was working his last on call before being shipped out to Iraq, lucky us) said that he recommended breaking her water so that things would progress more rapidly. He was also concerned because of the amount of extra fluid (noted on previous Ultrasound) was keeping the baby's head from fully engaging. Kit decided that breaking the water was a good idea, but I think she regretted it when the full strength contractions started. Kit couldn't describe the pain, but I said it was like a hammer pounding away at your cervix for a minute straight. Ladies? Agree? Disagree?
Kristen actually did quite well with the help of Amy although she did call for her mommy a lot which I decided meant me in that situation. She zoned out when the strong contractions started and apart from repeatedly pressing the "call nurse" button (which was not working), she writhed around and tried to breathe.We eventually did call the nurse when it was about time for Kristen to push. We knew it was time because the writhing and arm-squeezing increased in intensity.
When the doctor and the nurse came in, it was only about an hour after her water had broken. Kit started pushing and the nurse asked her to put her hands behind her knees and hold her breath. Kit insisted that she couldn't. But they must have come to a compromise because we ended up doing pretty well as a team. I held Kristen's hand and helped her however I could. Meaning that I stood there looking sympathetic and stupid.
Lindyl Jean Anderson (Zuzu for those who, like Rhoda, can't say Lindyl, and for anyone who thinks the name is cute) was born officially at 9:41 AM on May 30th 2010.
Once Lindyl's cord was cut, she was taken by a nurse to suction her nose and mouth and get her crying. Of course, Lindyl, like Rhoda, wasn't much for crying...yet. That nurse ended up getting into some trouble with Kit and Amy when she was tardy bringing the baby back over. I'll tell you something; a mother who has just given birth doesn't give a hoot what anyone says. She wants her baby!
Lindyl took to breastfeeding right away. After her mom got a hold of her, Zuzu ate for 40 min! She was a breastfeeding pro right from the start. If there were a breastfeeding Olympics, she would win, hands down. Even now, if she is conscious, she wants to be eating and nothing will substitute (except daddy's fingers until she discovers the ruse).
She looks a lot like Rhoda in her first pictures, but she also looks like herself. I don't know how to explain it. But any of you who remember Rhoda's first pictures will know what I mean. If not, you can always go back to March 2008 on the blog post.
We spent our first little while sleeping once Zuzu was settled in and asleep. I don't think I really deserved the break considering all the work I put in, but Kit did so I joined her. That first night, I slept at the hospital with Lindyl and Kit. I'm ashamed to admit this, but Kit did most of the work that first night. Kit got up every few hours to feed the baby and was constantly interrupted by nurses needing to take her temperature and blood pressure.
Rhoda, our delightful little girl, arrived the next day with her grandma. She loved her little sister right away and was very gentle with her. Just look at that happy smile. Rhoda could not get enough of holding her little sister. She firmly insists "my baby" any time she wants to hold Zuzu or doesn't want her taken away.
Below you can see my three beautiful girls. I must admit that I am a little worried though, now that I am outnumbered 3 to 1.
Kit is recovering quickly, aided by frequent installments of lovies from her two sweet girls.
Pictures never really show how absolutely tiny new babies are. Here is Zuzu next to Rhoda's baby doll. She is all scrunched up but you get the idea. She is practically swallowed up by her tiny little newborn clothes. Rhoda's favorite thing is to gently stroke Lindy's hair. Unfortunately, here, she is trying to use her right hand for balance on baby's stomach while she is doing so. We didn't think Lindyl would appreciate this, but Rhoda thought she was being the most gentle, loving sister ever.
So to wrap things up, cute babies. Lots of them. And the new little Lindyl Jean Anderson. I'm so grateful for my wonderful growing family and my wonderful wife who is taking such good care of them. I love them all dearly.
Well, we are soon to be traveling to Klamath Falls, but were so grateful that Zuzu came as early as she did so she could have her daddy there. We are also grateful for the love and support you all show us. Our next post will be from K Falls. Cheers!
p.s. the quilt is by Grandma Jeanne

6 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

oh, thank you for the post!! Congrats cousins, she's beautiful - all the girls are.

Emily M said...

She is so precious. I am so excited for Anna and Zuzu to be best friends-- only a month apart! Can't wait to meet the sweetie. We are impressed by her abundant dark hair-- Anna is blonde and bald so far. Basil, I enjoyed hearing about it all from your perspective. Way to go, Kristen. They are worth all the trouble!

Prism said...

Thanks for the report and the pictures--we really, really wish we were closer! And look how long Rhody's hair is getting! Such beautiful girls you have!

Melody said...

I cannot tell you how much I love love love her name! It is perfect! And she is perfect! So cute! I wish I could be there. We miss you terribly. Kit, i have not sent a thank you note for the cover up yet, but it is just wonderful in every way. You are so cool. I am in a project frenzy and wish I could bounce things off of you. Only you could help in the perfect Kristen way that you do. I can't wait to see how your new house works with all of your stuff. It's very cute.
I'm just so glad you posted. It's so good to see you!
Love and hugs to all!

kate said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations!

kacy faulconer said...

Cute!