Sunday, October 17, 2010

Prima Lima

Yay, finally the last Peru post and only 14 months late. Oh well. The way our flights worked out we had about a day in Lima before we could catch our plane back to Atlanta. (Unfortunately, we ended up having a night there too, as our plane was delayed until morning. In addition to our third night sleeping in an airport on the trip this caused: Running through baggage claim, customs, across the biggest airport I can think of, another bag check and security with four huge bags, a car seat and a baby. Making it to our flight with five minuets to spare and finding out that the plane had been overbooked and left 15 minutes early. Scrambling around, along with the rest of our group, to find another way home. Booking a flight to Akron. Borrowing cell phones (ours were packed because, why would we need them?) to call a ward member who was, heaven bless him, willing to drive the hour and a half to pick us up. Waiting in Akron another two hours as our friend was running late and had gotten lost but had no way of telling us because, still no cell phones. Turns out our luggage made the Cleveland flight. Also, no car seat but luckily our friend had one. At least we didn't have to spend yet another night in Atlanta like a couple of those in our group. Ah, the joys of international travel... with a 16 month old. I wouldn't trade it but I no longer fly Delta. But I digress. Lima, Wow! A few people from the group set up a tour around Lima for the day but by then we were feeling pretty short of money. (We unexpectedly had to buy an extra, discounted, plane ticket for Rhoda to leave the country. Silly us wanting to take our baby back home with us.) We considered just trying to see what we could on the cheap but... What?! -once you are already in the country do the tour, always do the tour! Our guide was wonderful, you could tell she really loves her country. The Spanish architecture around the several main squares of the city is absolutely breathtaking! Here is Basil in front of the capital building. Downtown is bustling. The traffic really is crazy. (I spent the time we weren’t stuck in traffic either trying to take pictures out the window or clutching Rho's car seat in a white-knuckled grip.) But the pedestrians are bold. I think this street was for pedestrians only but the look of it and the activity is typical for downtown. We still aren't sure why, but on this particular day there were tanks and SWAT teams all around the main squares. This older one was cool. Check out the hoses on top. Also notice the beautiful balcony. These gorgeous carved wood balconies were very popular with the Spanish colonists and are all over the prestigious old buildings. Lima is very proud of its balconies. I'm so sorry I don’t have a better picture. I was completely in love with this mountainside covered in colorful houses. Turns out these are some of the slums of Lima. In Peru the poor live up in the hills while the wealthy live in the valleys. Take that east benchers. One of the places we were able to tour was this gorgeous cathedral. The outside was teaming with pigeons and I tell you the birds of London have nothing on these guys. Just look at all those highrise perches. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside but wow, I will never forget it. There was incredible wood carving, mosaics, and frescoes everywhere, especially the ceilings. There was a large library housing many of the oldest books, manuscripts, and illuminations in the country. We even got to tour the catacombs. It was absolutely incredible. Narrow tunnels with walls completely covered with stacks of femurs. Pits lined with spirals of skulls as far down as you can see. I wish I could remember how many skeletons they told us were down there or more of the story behind it but that is what I get for waiting 14 months. So much for “I will never forget”. This is the Nestle factory. It was huge, going on for blocks, and all bright, sunny, and yellow. We were too late and too poor to take a tour but we did get to see, from the car, this stunning archeological sight. It is a mud brick temple that is one of the oldest archeological discoveries in South America. It is located right in the very modern Mira Flores district and the juxtaposition is unbelievable. Even from our brief stop I got such an overwhelming feeling of being near something more ancient than I had ever imagined. Lima is a rare coastal desert. It almost never rains but is misty most of the time. It also has great surfing. We were able to watch several people out catching the waves. Our last stop was this park near the ocean, surrounded by a fun mosaic wall. This was also in Mira Flores, one of the most prestigious and beautiful parts of Lima. It is called the kissing park because of this huge statue in the center. Those giant terracotta people, they're pretty good, but I think we showed 'um a thing or two. Finally, our last shot. From the airport, an Inca with some sense. If only the rest had known, It's the diseases that will get ya'. See you in 2010! - I have Halloween pics.

No comments: