Friday, September 17, 2010

So, remember when we went to Peru?

I can't believe I have only posted twice in the past year. Then again, when I think about the past year I can totally believe it! I know you all want to see new pics of the girls and I can't wait to share them but for my own record keeping I really wanted to put up these last two posts of Peru. I have been trying to get these up for so long, when I entered blogger to edit this I realized I had three different drafts of this post with just the pictures loaded. This first one is just a few little bits from the trip that didn't make it in to any other post, then I will hopefully be able to write about our day in Lima. This slightly disturbing photo is of Basil enjoying some takeout. because they get money for recycling glass bottles, the shops there hate to part with glass and will sometimes only sell you a drink if you vow to bring back the bottle. So when Basil asked for an Inka Cola to go this is what he got. Rhoda and I got to spend a day shopping in Ollantaytambo with some of our favorite girls, Alida, Ann, Rachel, and Jackie. It is a beautiful little town where you can still see architecture that predates the Incas as well as lots of Incan ruins and incredible terraces. We did not actually partake of el ceviche maldito. In fact we avoided ceviche, our favorite Peruvian dish, entirely until we got to Lima where we felt more sure of it being safe to eat. Despite this heroic self sacrifice Rhodie and I still got sick. I nursed Rhodie constantly to help her feel better but had to have Gatorade forced into me because drinking made me feel even worse. I ended up getting so dehydrated Basil nearly put me on an IV bag. Fortunately,despite my insistence that I was going to die, after two days we were all better, just like everyone predicted we would be. I guess now we have been initiated to international travel. To bad we still haven't earned our guts of steel like Base. This last picture is from our last day at clinic. All our new friends from Lamay as well as the mayor and Edwin threw us a lunch at the town hall to thank us for the work in the clinic. They served the most amazing quinoa and vegetable soup that I can still taste. They presented us with a this certificate printed on some kind of animal skin with all our names on it (including Rhodie and I oddly enough) as well as a hand painted wooden plate for each of us as a thank you gift. These are honestly some of the most generous and humble people I have ever met. We truly came to love the people we worked with and served while there and truly miss them. I know Rhoda has already forgotten our time in Peru but I am so grateful for the influence these wonderful people have had on her life and mine. They taught us love, compassion, and gratitude.

1 comment:

Prism said...

We love to read about your internationality! And we miss our girls!