Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Neighbor Halloween

"Totoro, Totoro
Totoro, Totoro"
"Living in the forest trees for such a very, very long time.
There you'll be with. . ."
"Totoro, Totoro
Totoro, Totoro"
"You only see him when your very young
a magical adventure for you.
It's magic for you!" OK, so for those of you who haven't seen "My Neighbor Totoro" that was probably pretty strange, and I guess so are our Halloween costumes. Strange can be a great thing though. (Unless you live in rural Oregon in which case you just have to tell everyone you spent hours and hours sewing really ugly bunny costumes.)
"My Neighbor Totoro" is one of Rhodie's absolute favorite shows. (Along with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "The Gumby Movie"-- What can I say the girl has good taste!) It is a Japanese cartoon made in 1988 and is totally awesome. You should watch it-- and then dress like it. All the cool kids are doing it.Zuzu got a Totoro poster for her birthday (the great thing about one year olds is you can buy them whatever you want them to have) and we have all been pretty Totoro crazed ever since. I was even considering giving Rho a Totoro birthday party for her 4th but considering the responce these costumes got--total bewilderment followed by pity-- I sort of don't think the kids around here would have much appreciation for acorns wrapped in leaves as party favors. Oh well, I know plenty of my peeps out there will love the costumes and we had a fun time on Halloween. Lets face it these girls are so cute they could dress as bums and still score plenty of candy. Actually they would look pretty darn cute as bums. (either kind) --That one is for you grandma Dawn. I was starting to despair of ever getting any pictures of the family in their costumes as the weather here has been really bad. Fortunately we had a quick trip to Portland and Lynn took us to this gorgeous park and lent me her camera. The girls loved it! It was honestly one of the funnest photo sessions I have ever had. Zuzu even kept her hat on-- miracle of miracles! The best part was how their tails bounced as they walked along. Just in case you were wondering, I am not nearly a good enough seamstress (or enough of a masochist) to attempt a Cat-bus costume for myself. I can however, baste a couple of eyeballs on to a hat and get festive as a soot sprite. (Really, just watch the show already.) The girls LOVED the ducks. It is great how long you can trick city ducks into thinking you are feeding them by throwing them bark. So there you have it. Halloween 2011. I hope it was as magical an adventure for you, as it was for us, and I hope I can manage to get a few more posts up before Halloween 2012.

5 comments:

Melody said...

Well here I am off to go look up Totoro. I guess I have been seriously missing out.
I'm glad I have cool friends to keep me in the know. You are all adorable!

Brittons of Provo said...

So cute! I can't remember if I have introduced the boys to Totoro this year, but if not its definitely time. Your girls are adorable! I wish we could hang out.

Prism said...

Largeboy and his best friend Sam were Totoros last year, and spent the whole night explaining that they were NOT PENGUINS!

It was BigGirls's fav when she was little--and it still is! When she was 3 her faves were Totoro and "Much ado about nothing"! Talk about good taste! She also loves 7B's for 7B's.

And we miss you like crazy! When the girls are older we will hook them up with the rest of Miazaki's films--esp. "Castle in the Sky" and "Howl's Moving Castle"

Emily M said...

We LOVE that movie. And your costumes are amazing. Did you do them without a pattern? You are an incredible seamstress. I wouldn't be surprised if you whipped out the Cat-bus for next year. :) The picture of Basil with his mouth open looks so much like the real thing. It's crazy-- and the forest and trees-- just perfect pictures. We miss you so much! We need to make it to OR sooner than later. The girls are precious. I am in love with this post. XOXO,

Emily

Emily M said...

I also really love the picture with the umbrellas and the picture of the bouncy tails.